This is the icing my mum has made for me ever since I can remember! They were on all my birthday cakes, & she would often make cakes for us through high school & we would still fight over who got to lick the bowl once she had iced the cake.
You need a double boiler, or a make-shift version of one, as this is what really makes the icing work. And an electric beater – if not, rope your husband in to do the beating with a whisk (as I had to early this morning!).
1½ cups Sugar
¼ tsp Cream of Tartar
⅛ tsp Salt
⅓ cup Water
2 Egg Whites
1½ tsp Vanilla Essence
1. Place sugar, cream of tartar, salt, water and egg whites in the top of a double boiler.
2. Beat with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute.
3. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan (if this happens, your frosting could become grainy).
4. Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes.
5. Beat in vanilla.
6. Use this immediately to ice the cake as it sets/hardens quite quickly.
I usually make my mum’s flop-proof chocolate cake with this icing on top & it is absolutely divine. Enjoy!